1. St. Bernardus Abt 12 Oak Aged
St. Bernardus Abbey Ales are world class. For the past several years St. Bernardus Christmas Ale has been paired with our family Christmas dinner, always stellar, always pleasing. When this oak aged Belgian Quadrupel was purchased, it immediately moved to the top of the Christmas dozen.
"St.Bernardus Abt 12 Oak Aged is brewed with that same original recipe and then matured for 6 months in Oak Calvados barrels before it is bottle conditioned. This maturation on oak barrels gives the beer a deeper and richer taste."
2. Modern Times Universal Friend
Every beer I have tried from San Diego's Modern Times has been very good. This grape-based saison was a birthday/Hootenanny gift from Jason. I know it will not disappoint.
"Universal Friend is a saison made with Pinot Grigio grape must. This light and crisp ale imparts aromas of clove, grape, citrus, and a little sweetness that all carry into the flavor."
3. Unknown Brewing 1.5ish
"A Belgian Style Red Rye Ale aged and soured in French Oak Cabernet barrels with strawberries and vanilla beans."
4. Central Waters Kosmyk Charlie's Y2K Catastrophe Ale 2012
There has to be some barleywines in the twelve. This one is another beer present from Pfoxy John, Godfather of the Wisconsin Beer Mafia. Guaranteed to warm one up on a cold winter's night. The only catastrophe will be if it accidentally spills.
Central Waters says:
"This Catastrophe is aged one year in our cellars, delightfully fruity and smooth enough to help you slide over the worst Y2K glitch."
5. AleSmith Barrel Aged Olde Ale 2014
AleSmith Brewery produces some of the best ales in America. The Barrel-aged Olde Ale makes the fifth different offering from this fine brewery that has been including in the annual twelve. It is aged in bourbon and brandy barrels. Thank you Todd for another rare barrel-aged AleSmith.
"AleSmith Barrel Aged Olde Ale is matured in both premium bourbon barrels and brandy barrels to add vinaceous complexity to its rich, malty profile. Notes of oak, vanilla, and bourbon compliment the beer's dried fruit and burnt toffee character to make this limited release worth the wait."
6. SweetWater The Pit & The Pendulum
I have said it many times before - I love peaches, and I am a sucker for peach beers. SweetWater beers are usually on point. Southern, peaches, Brett, Belgian yeast, I am all for that.
"The perfect balance of three distinct divergences. Allowed to initially flower with Belgian ale yeast, The Pit & The Pendulum was then incarcerated with Brett and freshly puréed peaches to intensify the trifecta of its persona."
7. Sierra Nevada Into The Woods Barrel-Aged Old Ale
This barrel-aged goody was obtained during a recent trip to Sierra Nevada's immaculate Mills River, NC facility. As one of the top breweries in the United States, Sierra Nevada brews some fantastic beers. This one should be no exception. It should be big, boozy, strong and delicious. Definitely a sipper.
8. Yazoo Embrace The Funk Deux Rouges Cassis (Purple Wax)
|Embrace The Funk's Brandon Jones (l) and myself at ETF Release.|
Brandon Jones is concocting some amazing award-winning elixirs at Yazoo Brewing in Nashville. I am honored to have received several of these outstanding brews from the Wrangler of Funk himself. This Deux Rouges Cassis was purchased at an Embrace The Funk special release this past September. Yes, there was hot chicken at the event.
9. Black Abbey Barrel-Aged Potus 3 (Batch B69 MCS JC)
"Potus 3 is a Colonial Farmhouse Ale from a recipe brewed at Monticello during Thomas Jefferson's time. The base saison conveys lots of pepper and spice with the barreling imparting a Sauvignon Blanc-type grapey-ness with some tart and a hint of salt."
Another standout Tennessee brewery. Drinking local means drinking fresh and putting tax dollars back into your area. That is good business. #DrinkLocal
According to Carl Meier at The Black Abbey Brewing Company, the batch code is:
B69 is for barrel tracking.
MCS is where the barrel came from, in this case McScrooge's in Knoxville.
JC is for the type of barrel, with the code indicating "J" for Jefferson, "C" for Cabernet, with the barrel being a Cabernet barrel that also held Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon, thus keeping with the Potus 3 theme.
10. The Bruery Tart of Darkness 2013
Another west coast offering from another stellar brewery. Sour porters and stouts are among my favorite styles. The Bruery has mastered sour and funky ales. This 2013 cellared selection should be outstanding; been holding to this one since it was released.
"We brewed a stout but we then decided to throw it into oak barrels...and added our special blend of souring bacterias and yeasts. The result is a perfectly tart yet awesomely dark and roasty sour stout. Not a style you see too often - and in our opinion, not a style you see often enough."
11. Dominion Millennium Oak Aged Barley-Wine
Barleywine number two on the list. This Dominion ale was gifted by DC Dave aka Foam Fan. Barleywines are usually better if aged for at least a year before enjoying them. That usually mellows the beast a bit. This one is a couple of years old.
12. Wicked Weed Dark Arts Tequila Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout w/Brett and Espresso
Wicked Weed in Asheville, NC is one of the stars of the brewing South. Fantastic funky beers, a sourheads paradise, and a great place to eat, it is a must-visit on any proper trip to Asheville. Good friend Jason procured this beauty for me. Love the brewery, love the label artwork, love the beers.This one should be huge. Thanks Jason!
"This beer was brewed with brown sugar, agave, and honey., fermented using our house Brettanomyces culture. Dark Arts is ever the fulfillment of a goal we set for ourselves in the beginning: to not only strive for the cap, but to also craft a culmination beer, reflective of our love of all beer styles. Cheers to another year of reveling in the Darkness."
Here is to good friends, great beers, and enjoying family during the holiday season. Thank you to everyone who helped me compile this list. I hope you enjoy your own Twelve Beers of Christmas.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Twelve Beers of Christmas Past:
Twelve Beers of Christmas 2008
1. Anchor Our Special Ale (2008)
2. Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
3. Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel
4. Great Lakes Christmas Ale
5. Bison Winter Warmer
6. Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock
7. Delirium Tremens
8. New Glarus Apple Ale
9. Corsendonk Pater (Abbey Brown Ale)
10. Corsendonk Agnus (Abbey Pale Ale)
11. Thirsty Dog Siberian Night Imperial Stout
12. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale (2008)
Twelve Beers of Christmas 2009
1. Thirsty Dog 12 Dogs Christmas Ale
2. Goose Island Christmas Ale
3. Tommyknocker St. Nicks Cocoa Porter
4. Avery Old Jubilation Ale
5. Rinkuškiai Missing Elf
6. Fort Collins Double Chocolate Stout
7. Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter
8. Rochefort Trappistes 6
9. Rogue Santas Private Reserve Ale
10. Jolly Pumpkin Noel de Calabaza
11. Cantillon Iris
12. Lurgashall Christmas Mead
Twelve Beers of Christmas 2010
1. Spaten Optimator
2. Dogfish Head Olde School Barleywine
3. Ass Kisser Double IPA
4. Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA
5. Terrapin Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout
6. Depot Street The Limited Maple Pecan Porter
7. AleSmith YuleSmith – Summer
8. a. Oskar Blues Gordon / b. Oskar Blues Gubna
9. Maredsous 10
10. Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock
11. Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Fritz & Ken Ale
12. Victory Old Horizontal
Twelve Beers of Christmas 2011
1. AleSmith Yulesmith – Winter
2. Brew Kettle White Rajah
3. Brooklyn Black Ops
4. Capital Eternal Flame
5. Dogfish Head Miles Davis' Bitches Brew
6. Founders Backwoods Bastard
7. Hoppin' Frog DORIS The Destroyer Double Imperial Stout
8. Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball Ale
9. Odell Mountain Standard '09
10. Olde Hickory Bourbon Barrel Aged Bardstown Ale
11. Ommegang Brasserie D'Achouffe Gnomegang
12. Three Floyds Dark Lord Imperial Stout
Twelve Beers of Christmas 2012
1. De Ranke Pere Noel
2. St. Bernardus Christmas Ale
3. Hopworks Organic Abominable Winter Ale
4. Lompoc C-Son's Greetings
5. Midnight Sun CoHoHo Imperial IPA
6. N'Ice Chouffe
7. Ninkasi Sleigh'r Dark Double Alt
8. Oakshire Ill-Tempered Gnome
9. Pelican Bad Santa
10. Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper
11. Samuel Adams Merry Mischief Gingerbread Stout
12. The Bruery 5 Golden Rings